Friday 30 December 2011

Joe-Joe's Christmas Gruffalo

  1. Joe-Joe's first Christmas was spent in Essex at Auntie Nina and Uncle Mark's house. It's O.K., we told Santa our son wouldn't be at home in Bournemouth and arranged for his presents to be dropped down their chimney instead.
It was my first Christmas with the Baileys since 2006 as in recent years we've spent the festive period being waited on hand and foot at my wife's parents in Sturminster Newton, Dorset. However, this year I fancied a change and so invited myself and my family to spend it with my sister, her husband and their two children. Luckily, they were only too happy for Joe-Joe's massive travelling wardrobe to be dumped on them for three nights. My mother Jean also joined us for turkey and all the trimmings and just like previous years we sat back, drank wine and enjoyed watching someone else slave over a hot stove to prepare our biggest meal of the year.


Joe looks amazed at Nannie Jean's Crimbo delivery
Nannie Jean provided the entertainment on Christmas Eve when she rocked up with three large bags full to the brim with presents for her three grandchildren. Harrison, 9, Mariella, 3, and Joe screamed with delight as they unwrapped one treat after another from what seemed like a Penn and Teller magic bag that just kept giving. After Harrison had pulled what seemed like his twentieth bar of chocolate from it, I told him how lucky he was as when I was his age my Christmas pillow case contained one orange, two walnuts, a few chocolate coins and school uniform!


You can't eat the bowl, try the Milkybar buttons!

  • My wife and I had hummed and hawed over what to put in Joe-Joe's first begging letter to Father Christmas. Deborah wanted to compile a wish list of items from Baby Gap, but in the end we decided on an ugly cuddly toy after spotting one on a shelf in the children's section of the Waterstone's book store. Joe-Joe's favourite bedtime story is Julia Donaldson's 'The Gruffalo', a tale about a mouse's walk in the woods. The Gruffalo toy with its terrible tusks, terrible claws and terrible teeth in terrible jaws cost £25 in Waterstone's, but I helpfully informed Santa's elves that one could be purchased on the Amazon web site for £12. It duly arrived on Christmas morning and as you can see from the photo, Joe-Joe was terribly pleased to have received it.

First present from Mummy and Daddy - a Gruffalo

Joe-Joe in jumper knitted by Nannie Jean

No comments:

Post a Comment