Sunday 12 June 2011

I've got fingers like the Wicked Witch!

I wish I hadn't put my finger to my nose when I had pooh on it! 
Joe-Joe's second day in the maternity ward will be remembered for being the day that I changed my first nappy!  (diaper if you are reading this in North America)



I'm not actually a complete novice when it comes to being around babies as my twin sister has two children and my sister-in-law one. Saying that, if I took a practical baby exam before today I'd probably only have passed the bottle feeding and burping test - as I'm very skilled at both in my adult life!



I'd feared Joe-Joe's day two nappy would get the better of me when told by the midwife that it would be "greeny-black in colour and very sticky with a tar-like texture." She then warned: "It will be difficult to wipe the pooh off your baby's tiny bottom AND YOU'LL PROBABLY GET IT ON YOUR FINGERS IF HE WRIGGLES!!!" However, I fancied my chances as Joe-Joe was very still and half sleeping when I made a bold move for his nappy fastening. Now, I've always been brilliant at those steady hand games where you have to move a handle around a wire shape without touching it and setting off the buzzer. In fact, in the game 'Operation',  I was the only kid in our street who could extract the Funny Bone and the Bread Basket (stomach) without the patient's nose glowing red. Sadly, age must have caught up with me as Joe-Joe buzzed me within two seconds and started doing Chubby Checker's 'The Twist'. He went round and round and up and down and took his pooh with him, conveniently missing the two wet wipes I'd doubled over in the hope of getting the job done and making a clean getaway. A whole five minutes elapsed before his botty was clean and a new nappy was on and by then my finger tips looked like the Wicked Witch of the West!



For my endeavour, I'm sure you'll agree that like the cowardly lion in 'The Wizard of Oz', I deserve a medal for trying.







   

 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment