Wednesday 14 December 2011

Cardboard Christmas

Times are definitely hard in the Hawkins household this Christmas. Deborah has been on maternity leave since June and I'm working just two days a week at Halfords in Poole. It's back-breaking work for peanuts and this 41-year-old has managed to put his back out a couple of times moving heavy bicycles around the racking in the store's warehouse.

I returned from work on Monday though with a spring in my step and a six foot high cardboard cut-out Christmas tree spread across the back seat. It looked good on display in the store and I figured it would look just as good in the spot reserved in our hallway for our festive pine.

I excitedly pulled it out of my Renault Megane  (I'd folded it in two to get into the car) and hurriedly rushed through the front door shouting out to my wife: "Quick! Come and have a look at the six foot tree that I got for FREE!" She rushed out of the kitchen with Joe-Joe in her arms and almost dropped him on seeing my festive effort at penny pinching. "That's crap! I want it out of our hallway and replaced with a real tree by tomorrow morning!"

My free tree stayed one extra day as I don't like to do exactly what my wife says. It now resides outside in our big cardboard recycle bin and today I replaced it with a five foot real tree which cost £20. Before I leave for work tomorrow morning, I'll remind her indoors that I'll have to work three and a half hours at Halfords to pay for it.


No comments:

Post a Comment