Tuesday 20 December 2011

DADDY DAYCARE - Open for business

Deborah returned to work last Friday after six months on maternity leave and I officially took up my post as a full-time stay-at-home Dad. I'd been dreading my first day in the job, as my wife had decided that my first morning would be spent at Minky Moos - a musical sensory experience for newborns at my local children's centre.

During her time on maternity leave Deborah took Joe-Joe to practically every mother and baby group in Bournemouth. It's been good for her, and my son, as they've made lots of new friends. It's been good for me too, as I've managed to spend many quiet hours picking my fantasy football dream team on the PremierLeague.com website. I'm sure my wife would have preferred it if I'd accompanied her to a few of these daytime activities, or at least have kept my negative thoughts about them to myself. After much persuasion, I did attend 'Wriggle and Rhyme' at our local library a few Saturdays ago. I felt like a right fool mumbling along to long-forgotten nursery rhymes with one other mother and the librarian as bemused patrons looked on instead of silently flicking through books. 

I was one of the first parents to arrive at Minky Moos and nervously took up a spot with Joe-Joe at the side of the hall - a position I'm sure he'd never occupied before as Deborah always likes to be in the thick of the action. I kept my head down and played with my son as the hall filled up. After five minutes I looked up and saw that I was now on the edge of a very large circle of 25 other Mums and their babies. To my horror, I also realised that my child was not wearing a Christmas-themed outfit. At six-months-old, even Joe-Joe looked embarrassed to be the only one donning a T shirt and jeans and surrounded by well-dressed Baby Santas, elves, reindeer and snowmen. To make matters worse, I'd also given him odd socks! 

I tried my best to ignore the many stares aimed our way and grabbed Joe-Joe some sleigh bells to shake to the Christmas tunes belting out of pink tracksuited Penny's glitter ball stereo. Thankfully, the mums sitting next to me took pity and tried to make me feel at home, although my wife had failed to warn me that they'd whip out a boob to feed their baby halfway through the ordeal. I didn't know where to look and settled on counting the number of tiles on the floor. There were 106.



After about half a dozen Christmas songs and an interesting coloured light show, Penny's 'special guest' arrived. It was of course Father Christmas, except this one had a big fat comical head. A scrum of 25 mums quickly formed and they politely jostled each other in order that their darling daughter or son had their picture taken with Santa. Every baby there got a photo - every one except mine. Poor Joe-Joe. His Daddy hasn't got a mobile phone with a camera - at least, not yet, although I'm pleased to say that my wife has sanctioned the purchase of one. I wonder if she'll mind if I buy that rather expensive new iPhone?

No comments:

Post a Comment