Friday 17 June 2011

Confessions of a secret soap eater

 

My wife found solace in the toiletries aisle at Tescos

When chatting to my wife last night in between Joe-Joe's feeds, she confessed that she'd had a rather odd craving during her pregnancy. "Oh yeah, what?" I asked, expecting her to say something like peanut butter and strawberry jam. "Dove soap!"
She'd told me a few years ago that as a young child her mother caught her eating a bar of Imperial Leather. And it took a plentiful supply of Milky Ways ("the sweet you can eat in between meals without ruining your appetite") to help the nine-year-old kick the habit.

She revealed: "I was just walking down the toiletries aisle in Tescos when I felt an uncontrollable urge to pick up a twin pack of Dove soap and eat one bar there and then. It was heaven." The craving apparently began in her fourth month and continued throughout her pregnancy.

"I'd find myself rushing home after the weekly supermarket shopping trip and going straight to the carrier bag containing the toiletries. I'd rip the box open with my teeth like a demented dog and scrape the soap off with my finger nails and lick it off. I tried Imperial Leather, but it didn't have the same gloriously creamy texture as Dove!"

Shocked by her story, I googled pregnancy cravings and discovered that in a recent survey by gurgle.com 31 per cent of women reported unsual cravings during their pregnancy. Twenty two percent of those women cited 'ice' as their unusual crave with 17 per cent regularly digging into a piece of coal for dinner! Others on the list included; toothpaste (9%), sponges (8%), mud (7%), chalk (6%) and laundry soap (5%).

It got me thinking, maybe Heston Blumenthal is missing a trick. The three-Michelen starred chef famous for his bacon and egg ice-cream should consider replacing it on the dessert menu at his Fat Duck restaurant with Dove Soap sorbet. 

Before my wife went to bed leaving me to the 2am feed, I asked her if she had any other confessions to make. "Yes, since Joe-Joe's birth I've been dreaming about giving birth in front of an entire rugby team. The funny thing is I'm not embarassed about being naked in front of them or that they're watching me push my baby out, but when one of them drops a bar of soap into the birthing pool I do blush when they see me take a bite out of it."

Latest dirty nappy score: Daddy 6 Mummy 5

1 comment:

  1. I'm a 56 year old man and find myself enjoying sucking on a bar of Dove soap at least once or twice daily. I like making a super creamy lather with my pouff and then put the cream in my mouth and swallowing as much as i can till i'm full. It makes me burp alot and my breath smells like dove soap. I love my Dove.

    ReplyDelete