Friday 13 May 2011

'Thank you' Jennifer Aniston!



Ten years ago I hadn’t even heard of a ‘baby shower’, but then in a moment of weakness I watched an episode of American sitcom ‘Friends’ called appropriately ‘The One with the Baby Shower’. I vaguely recall that Jennifer Aniston’s character Rachel was expecting Ross’s baby, and his sister Monica invited Rachel’s friends and family along to drink wine and dispense wisdom on how to bring up children. Their advice to Rachel wasn’t exactly free, as they had to bring gifts to the party for mother and baby. I guess that’s the part of the story that my wife liked, so last weekend her good friend Deneen organised a secret one at our home. It wasn’t much of a secret though, especially after Deborah caught me writing an email to Deneen about the arrangements and then loading enough barbeque food in our supermarket trolley to feed her many friends that made the 200 mile round trip from North London.

Deneen did brilliantly pulling off the “surprise”, gaining access to our home whilst we were at antenatal classes to decorate the living room, hall and garden with blue balloons and ‘Baby Boy’ bunting. Best of all though was the huge cup cake tower that made a fantastic centrepiece and served as a nice lunch for me before the guests arrived.
When the baby shower girls arrived I was told to make myself scarce. From my garden office I could hear them having a good time – the screeching reminded me of junior school sports day – the girls’ egg and spoon race. And at the end of the party it was pretty obvious which of the ladies present had never had any children themselves – they were the ones drunk on Cava and begging me to give them a lift to the off-licence so they could buy some beers for the late night party at their B&B.

Anyway, thanks to Jennifer Aniston and the lovely ladies, Joe-Joe’s nursery is now overflowing with books, clothes, teddies and potties. And I’m still eating cup cakes five days later! 
Two fat teachers and three winos 

No comments:

Post a Comment