Wednesday 3 August 2011

I'm a freebie mummy!



Last week I spent an hour of my precious time when my son was asleep signing up to a load of internet baby clubs with the aim of getting as many freebies for Joe-Joe as possible. And this week the postman began delivering the fruits of my labour. 
On Monday a package arrived from those nice people at organic baby food company HiPP. It contained an A-Z guide on pregnancy and baby health "for mums", plus a comforter for baby with an elephant face on it. Sadly, there was no "A-Z guide for Dads" so I'll just have to be a mummy. At least Joe-Joe likes his orange comforter and allows it to rest beside his head in his child seat.    
The run of gifts from companies desperate to lure me in continued today when the postman delivered a package from baby milk firm Aptamil. The accompanying letter read: "Nick, Thank you for registering with us and congratulations on becoming a MUM." !!! Funny that, but when I took a look this morning I was definitely a DAD!!! Along with that rather annoying piece of literature the firm had sent a lovely cuddly toy polar bear. I'm not sure whether it's a boy or girl bear, but I wouldn't expect those people at Aptamil to be fussed over such details. 


Joe-Joe loves his bear and now holds it in a vice-like grip after his terrible two-year-old cousin Benjamin borrowed it for an hour and then refused to give it back! My wife seemed happy to allow Benji to take it home, but I wasn't prepared to let my freebie, sorry I mean Joe-Joe's brand new freebie travel to Portsmouth in the hands of my grubby nephew. "Get that polar bear back," I urged Deborah as Benji climbed into his car seat for the journey home. Thankfully, his daddy Ryan grabbed the now dirty white bear from his son and gave it to Deborah who ran back inside the house. As their car pulled away I could hear Benji sobbing uncontrollably, "Bear, Bear, Bear." I must admit that I failed to feel any regret for our actions, after all, I'm going to suggest that Mr. Ryan Read joins the ABC club and becomes Aptamil's next freebie Mummy!     


Latest dirty nappy score: Daddy 38, Mummy 36, Grannie Mary 3, Midwife 1

No comments:

Post a Comment